Complex and Chronic Conditions, The Division for Physical, Health and Multiple Disabilities of the Council for Exceptional Children (CCC-DPHMD), formerly DPHMD, is the official division of the Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) that advocates for quality education for all individuals with physical disabilities, multiple disabilities, and special health care needs served in schools, hospitals, or home settings. If you are new to the CCC division, our group supports teachers, administrators, health care providers, and families who support children with physical, health, and multiple disabilities. We support students who have a large range of cognitive abilities and a variety of educational placements. At the heart of our division is a desire to support students who experience medical, physical, and health conditions. They might have only one diagnosis or multiple diagnoses.
The goals of CCC-DPHMD include:
- Promoting the continued development of adequate resources and programs that address the many areas of need associated with serving children and adults with physical and/or multiple disabilities, and special health care needs.
- Sharing relevant and timely information on current issues, instructional strategies, adaptations, and research through the annual CEC convention, professional meetings, training programs, and publications.
- Providing technical assistance and preservice and in-service education.
- Advocating for funds and policies that promote supportive legislation and funding for persons with physical disabilities, multiple disabilities, and special health care needs.
- Supporting the activities, policies, and procedures of the CEC and the other CEC divisions.